Images

Butterfly in Alliums

Advertisements

Deck Table

Deck Table

This picture is a return to things more closely related to my game design. Obviously this needs some changes to fit on an airship but I was still working on lighting and other aspects. I would prefer it to be a bit smoother, but am pleased with several aspects of this picture. I started somewhat differently in this on than I have in several others with the first layer or two being simple washes of gradual color development. In the others I have started with shadows and highlights to mark specifics. Working on these also reminds me of the frequency with which you see people comment on Photoshop as synonymous with fake images…I started this with blank pages, not even white and developed the image just as if on a canvas….where is the fake part? I enjoy this type of art with the Wacom for the ability to combine styles I learned in traditional art forms without the requirement to sit in a studio for days…I can do this at lunch at work.

sunrise-aulani< This one is The previous drawing I said I was not going to finish right now. I decided to post it in the current state so you can see where I am on it.

Kathleen

Kathleen

I am finally posting this drawing. Frankly, I’m not entirely pleased with it and have had a terrible time figuring out what is actually causing the aspects I do not like in these drawings. I am not sure if it is the medium, the brushes, me, or what. I am pleased with my progress and the development in the depth of an image and use of layering but still find lighting an issue. Oddly, I am usually good with shadows, it is the highlights that get me. Certain materials and textures are a challenge for me. Metals, Skin, and stones are especially challenging to build up color by color without metallic colors. I need to understand a few things in Photoshop better. Overall, good progress and development, just not what I was initially intending. Makes a difference when you know someone well I think.

Todd

Todd

This is my brother. I am pleased with it and I gained some insight from it that will help in my next one. Drawing family members and people I know well has really helped me learn the tones, and textures I need to work with because I know them and I am recreating something I am familiar with in a new way.
I actually had a couple of subjects I wanted to write a blog about today but they shall have to wait because this was my first day at a new job and I am tired and have things to do still. But the ideas will ruminate about my head for a bit while they await release into the wild.

Sari

Sari
This is one of my favorites so far, but partially because I just love sari

Today’s Picture was drawn from an image at DressRepublic.com
The pattern is a little different, but recognizable. I love Sari, I was going to make my wedding dress out of the material but went with leather instead. Some of my roommates in Hawaii had beautiful Sari and we would get dressed up in them and I would go to temple with them sometimes for dinner and to watch the dancing. I loved it, they are gorgeous, comfortable, flattering, and incredible materials. I have collected some images from the correct period Sari and want to include them in my Steampunk game. Besides, they are great practice in how material moves and hangs with the types of materials used and the draping.

Below is the Original I drew from.

This is this is the original photo I drew from.
This is this is the original photo I drew from.

Buckled leather bodice Steampunk female

Buckled leather bodice Steampunk female

Obviously, this is not Victorian, but the lines mostly are and the boots are based on the shoes women wore at the time many places other than London. The open leather strap and boning corset is something I have been wanting to do but had to improve my skin tone first. The shear skirt is a new thing for me, I need to learn shear material. I did incorporate some methods I learned in my previous piece on the skin and hair especially – I think it worked rather better. This is very much a mixing of Steampunk styles and lines, but that was the intent in a way. I may do a similar one with a different skirt, I started with a bustle design but am not sure how well that came through. I am gaining confidence that the art for the game is going to develop.

Allora

Allora

Still learning my Wacom and how to make good and realistic art with it. So far, things come out too cartoonish for my taste, but I learned several good things to try more in depth in this picture. Most of them were applied to only part of this image as I tried several different methods and attempts. I think I have an idea how to become less cartoonish on my next attempts. I am still not set on my art style for the game, I need to be comfortable with the device and art first. This is an actual portrait not a steampunk or Victorian design of my own devising. This is a family member.

Stone floor

Stone floor

My stone floor, all done except for sealing. I avoided showing the rest of the room, haven’t finished the trim yet and I’m packing in that room. This is our new bedroom floor. I laid the tile in one day, first time ever laying tile. It uses at least 15 types of tile, different colors,patterns, materials, and thicknesses. I had to change mortar part way through because we misjudged the amount and the store only had one type left. I learned a lot doing this floor and am quite pleased with it. I grouted it a couple days later and will seal it soon.
I would love this in more of the house, though I found a really neat idea for our red kitchen the other day using pennies.
House will be ready to rent soon.