These are 2 of the several paintings I have done in the past week or so. I have a couple of running projects related to painting. First, is these abstracts. Second is I am learning watercolor. With all the forms of art I do, I have never done watercolor, it is foreign to me.
Both of these paintings have an aspect with lighting. They change drastically depending on the lighting you view them in. Even moving your head when viewing changes how they appear. It is one of my favorite things about them.
Abstracts are a challenge for me because although I tend to paint in a very impressionist and abstract style of imagery, my style is very realistic and representational. The combination can make it very challenging to judge when a painting is complete and what the focus is as I progress.
This is one of 3 collections I made this week of other people’s and companies works. Some of these are absurdly expensive, others are instructables you can make. I present Steampunk pens. this is really mostly a set of clockwork, geared, or similar pens, I did not go into other Steampunk ideas on it yet.
One of the things I studies in college was Interior Design. I have been considering a couple interior design projects in Steampunk. Today has been very long so I am going to share a few of the ideas I have looked at this week in that area. Many of these are images I got from Secret Garden on Facebook, others from gaming sites. I did not take these photos and did nothing to them, they are property of other artists, I am sharing them as part of developing a foundation for a Steampunk design. Much of it would obviously need to be custom, but then I wanted to consider multiple price ranges and skill levels. I would want to have readily purchasable options, custom options, build-able options, ways to alter accessible or current items, and ways to use different types of spaces. This is obviously not a one day project, but would be a good series.
A fantasy, fairy-tail bedroom gone metallic and a bit of Steampunk Victorian. I know I have gone less with the gears and mechanical aspect of steampunk this week, but this is an exploration project to learn, develop, and create. Not as pleased with the bed as some other things.
I left the tag from the original image at the bottom, don’t want to steal an image. Changed all the materials, added stuff, and generally altered the image. I could have worked another hour, but it is past bedtime. I used this because I love the staircase and the way the bookshelf is integrated really appeals to my Steampunk style and what could be done with it.
Another new direction today. the female form is the basis of this piece. I have been contemplating this one for a while, I got the image off Facebook but to be honest I am unsure who she is. I will try to look into it, it was on the tattooed females page. With that foundation, I took a shot of an old Honda Superhawk engine open and clean. My husband is building one right now, so I keep seeing great things in it to work with. I used that as a beginning for the female steampunk cyborg. The background is completly changed from original.
I did another Thief dragonfly image today. I am less pleased with today’s piece largely due to a couple glitches in my understanding of the program and the effect actions would have. But this may be me being to harsh on myself, or just me having an idea I didn’t quite meet but no one else knows anyway. I think having Garrett in the image added a dimension and story that quite appealed to me. I wanted to try it without to see some things in scale and perspective, this was where I ran into program issues, purely not knowing how the program worked effectively enough, now I do, so it was a success in that. The image is from Thief 2, and if you know the game, you will see I altered the scene.
As I said yesterday, today’s piece is an expansion of that image. The background is from Thief, done by Guyjin, I modified it some and made it more gritty and dark. The evolving dragonfly is a modified form of 1/2 the original bug and 1/2 of yesterday’s piece. I just like the many stories this image can tell.
I found a bug that is almost a dragonfly the other day and want to cast him in metal, not having the equipment right now I have been thinking of some ideas to do with it. This prompted a couple of dragonfly images. Today is the first step, tomorrow is based on this base but with a more detailed background story visible in the image.
Today’s image was going to be a painting, I prepped the canvas and decided I wasn’t ready with the image to paint. I want to do one without drawing it first, new method for me. Instead I went through my pictures I took in Florida and found one of Tomorrowland at Disney World. My niece must have taken it since my head is in the image. I need to find the rest of my pics and get a better shot to redo this, but I like it. I did a mod of Tomorrowland. Of course we all know Tomorrowland is property of Disney Corporation, not trying to infringe.
Writing, art, Business, and practice, any medium is fair game.