Another weekend has come and gone on the Bug project. More bits are on the way here and many bruises and scratches later we survived.
I required help this weekend that will extend through some of the week as we get ready for the arrival of my orders. First we pulled the engine and the one of the heads.
While he cut pieces of remaining floorplans out, I cleaned the head. I used kerosene for a lot of it and it works remarkably well. First you carefully scrape dirt and oils and accumulated gunk off, pick it out of holes, and check mating surfaces. Then you get the brushes to it. After that you can get to the kerosene with not too harsh scubbies and cotton balls. A razor blade is useful if you avoid mating surfaces.
The valves are rusted but not bad. I will need a valve cover and rods. As I already knew, the most work will be interior. I have to rebuild some mating surfaces for the floor pans to seal. I have a plan and what I need on the way.
The most entertaining aspect this weekend was lifting the body off the frame to get better access and view. It is remarkably easy on a bug and really helped access. Pulling the motor was easy too which is a nice change.
o…it’s coming but is slow. I have a lot of hurry up and wait since I order parts when I get paid and prep and evaluate in between.
The process of restoration always fascinates me. The stages of cleaning and evaluation that move into collection of starting needs and price lists. From there you fix parts, clean parts, replace parts, restore finishes, and test things hopefully one at a time.
What I fail at is doing one task at a time. So, in typical fashion I am restoring 2 vintage sewing machines at the same time as my car. Both are Singer, one is a treadle and one us a single stitch electric from the 40’s.
But back to why you came here…the bug is ongoing. I have stripped the interior except the headliner. The fuel tank is out. The engine is stripped and loose but not out. I have new floorplans to install but need to remove the jack points first. So there is progress both mechanical and aesthetic. Having performed extensive rust treatment inside, I still must treat the exterior of the tank. The interior is pretty clean.
I am preparing to order exhaust and probably a wiring harness so you know what the next updates will likely be.
If you know me at all, you know I love cars, motorcycles, engines, and anything related. I love the feel of a powerful engine, the unique sound of an unusual engine, the special quirks of rare mechanical and the function of a well engineered machine. I love the art, the style, the engineering, the mechanics, and the the dirty details. I work on them, caress them, listen to them, admire them, and covet them. From Ducati to Norton, Bugatti to Edsel I love good design and quality work.
This past week my husband and I, who is a fellow admirer went to the Houston Fine Arts Museum to visit an exhibit of Art Deco cars. These were taken with my Fire phone, not the good camera from work.